Let’s face it – everyone wants to get the most value out of their insurance policies. But, have you ever thought about what you can do beyond your policies to protect yourself and your family? Here are 7 tips to help protect you, your family, and your assets!
- Home Inventory Report – We strongly recommend that you document your valuables and belongings. You can do something as simple as taking photos or a quick video of each room to document your “stuff”. Or you can download an app to your smartphone and document your belongings in a more detailed format. We are happy to keep this inventory report on file for you!
- Water and Gas Shut Off Valves – The shut off valves for your water and gas lines are often overlooked. Be sure to know where yours are and share them with your household members…even your neighbors.
- Fire Extinguisher – You should have an unexpired fire extinguisher for ever 1,000 square feet of living space in your home. You can pick one up for around $20 at your local hardware store. A small investment can prevent a much larger issue and out of pocket costs!
- Know Your Policies – First and foremost, know your deductibles, sub-limits, and exclusions. No policy is “all-encompassing” so make sure you understand how things will be handled before a loss. Keep in mind that almost every homeowner’s policy is going to carry a separate deductible for wind/hail or hurricane events. Do not get surprised after a claim!
- Hurricane Evacuation Plan – Have a plan. Share it with your family and friends. You can get guidance for a plan by going to www.ready.gov/make-a-plan
- Key Phone Numbers – We strongly recommend that you put your insurance carrier Claim Phone Number and Policy Number into your smartphone so you have access to these at all times. It is also not a bad idea to put a mitigation company’s number into your phone under “fire and water mitigation”. Some companies we recommend are A&I, Service Master, and Rainbow Restoration.
- Sign up For Online Portals – Most insurance companies provide an online portal to access your policy documents, file claims, pay bills, etc. We strongly encourage our clients to sign up for these when available.